Children who have concerns

If you are a child who is suffering from harm, neglect or abuse or are worried that another child may be suffering you can:

  • Talk to someone outside your family that you trust like a teacher, school nurse, police officer or other person in authority.
  • Contact the MASH Team on 0151 443 2600 and speak to someone from Social Care. A Social Worker works for the government and their job is to help you if you need to be protected from harm.
  • Contact Merseyside Police on 101 (24 hour non-emergency number). In an emergency always dial 999. It is the Police’s job to protect you from harm and stop crimes being committed against you or other children.
  • Contact Childline. Child Line is a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of 19. You can contact a Child Line counsellor about anything -no problem is too big or too small. Call free on 0800 1111, have a 1-2-1 chat online or send an email.

What is abuse?

Being mistreated or abused (sometimes called ‘Significant Harm’) is defined as Sexual Abuse, Physical Abuse, Neglect or Emotional Abuse.

Physical Abuse 

When an adult deliberately hurts a child, such as hitting, shaking, throwing, poisoning, burning, drowning or suffocating.

Emotional Abuse 

This would happen, for instance, when a child is being unfairly blamed for everything all the time, or told they are stupid and made to feel unhappy.


Where a child is not being looked after properly, for example, not getting enough to eat or being left alone in dangerous situations.

Sexual Abuse

An example of sexual abuse would be where a child has been forced to take part in sexual activities or in the taking of rude photos.


E.g. calling names, damaging property, stealing, spreading rumours, cyber-bullying, hurting, getting people into trouble (see the Bullying page).

Domestic Violence 

When one adult in a family or relationship threatens, bullies or hurts another member of the family e.g. physically, psychologically, emotionally, sexually or financially.

Are you in care, leaving care, living away from home and need help?

Take a look at the following flyer for more information: HAH Flyer 2019

Have you heard of Private Fostering?

Private Fostering is a care arrangement for children under 16 (or under 18

if you have a disability) where your parents have arranged for you to live

with another adult instead of your mum and dad. The person who looks

after you will not be a close relative i.e. not your grandparent, aunt, uncle,

step parent, brother or sister. Please see the following leaflet for more information:

Private Fostering – Children YP

A guide for a child who has made an allegation of abuse against a member of staff or a volunteer working in the children’s workforce


Knowsley Young Carers Service

Service Description

The Young Carers Team supports young people aged 6 to 18 years who are caring for a family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction and cannot cope without their support. Young Carers often take on practical and/or emotional caring responsibilities that would normally be expected of an adult.

In partnership with Knowsley Youth Mutual, we take a whole family approach to assess and support carers providing support wherever possible. This may include a trip or activity to provide peer support or a one to one chat with trained workers.  We support families to ensure that they receive a full package of help that they require, making sure all of the relevant services are involved.  This helps to ensure the young carers do not need to take on inappropriate levels of care that could be detrimental to their own health and wellbeing.

The young carer assessment is child friendly and easily accessible and incorporates many elements of All About Me. Assessments often provide considerable insight into not only the wishes and feelings of children but also their perceptions, which can improve and inform current support plans.


All answers must be YES to meet the criteria for the young person:

  • Young person aged between 6-18 years old
  • Lives in Knowsley Borough
  • Is aware of the referral, and parent/guardian consent has been given
  • Cares for a family member(parent/sibling/other relative)

Referral Process

  • Complete referral form
  • The external form should only be used by parents/guardians OR professionals who do not have access to EHM (Early Help Module) System. An internal referral can be made via EHM and is the preferred method to refer a child to the Young Carers Service.
  • All external referral forms are to be completed and sent via SECURE email to EHT@KNOWSLEY.GCSX.GOV.UK. Please ensure the email title states Young Carers Referral Form so the form can be forwarded to the correct team.
  • A referral by parents/guardians can be made via telephone on 0151 443 5059 or 0151 443 2336. Please request to speak to Mike Kehoe or Chris Wong if you are making a referral.
  • Once a referral is made, the assessment worker Mike Kehoe will contact the referrer and family to arrange a home visit.
  • The assessment will consider whether the young person is a young carer and a support plan would be created.

Guide to claiming asylum as a separated child in the UK

Please see below details of how to seek asylum and the process involved.